Connect with us

News

UAE official refuses to confirm lifting of visa restrictions on Nigerians

Published

on

UAE official refuses to confirm lifting of visa restrictions on Nigerians

An official of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government has refused to confirm the lifting of year-long visa restrictions on Nigerian travellers.

 

This comes a few days after the Federal Government announced that the two nations have struck a “historic agreement” that paved the way for, among others, the immediate lifting of the ban on Nigerians seeking to travel to the Gulf nation.

 

In a notice issued in October 2022, the UAE stated that it would stop the issuance of visas to citizens from Nigeria and 19 other African countries, with no further details provided.

 

Subsequently, flights between both countries were also halted last year as state-owned airlines, Emirates and Etihad, suspended operations in Nigeria over the inability to access and repatriate trapped funds amounting to $85 million.

 

In the last decade, Dubai has been a choice destination for Nigerian holidaymakers, shoppers and tourists in need of a break from the bustling life at home.

 

After a meeting between President Bola Tinubu and his UAE counterpart, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, in Abu Dhabi on Monday, September 11, 2023, the Federal Government claimed Dubai has agreed to lift the ban, adding that flights between both countries will resume with immediate effect.

 

“Furthermore, by this historic agreement, both Etihad Airlines and Emirates Airlines are to immediately resume flight schedules into and out of Nigeria, without any further delay,” a statement by presidential spokesman Ajuri Ngelale said.

 

But, talking to CNN on Friday, September 15, 2023, a UAE official who craved anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media said, “There are no changes on the Nigeria/UAE travel status so far.”

 

Recall Dubai didn’t corroborate the position of the Federal Government regarding the said agreement between both countries.

 

A statement by the UAE government on Monday said both leaders had, during the meeting, “explored opportunities for further bilateral collaboration” with the hope of “reinforcing ties between the UAE and Nigeria ” but remained silent on the lifting of visa ban or flights restarting.

 

Nigeria’s Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, said on Thursday that no timeline has been set for Emirates and Etihad Airlines to resume flight operations in Nigeria.

 

Speaking at the Aviation Africa Summit in Abuja, Keyamo revealed that terms of agreements were being finalised by the two countries.

 

“So, we are beginning to work out all the tiny details. I have met with Emirate before I left UAE, and we are working out the details. We cannot say the time frame. Kicking off an airline operation again on a route, does not mean you will go and grab one empty plane sitting in a place,” the Minister said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigerian Navy arrests Motor Tanker VINNALARIS 1 Lagos for crude oil theft

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy Forward Operating Base, IGBOKODA in Ondo State, has arrested 77-meter-long Motor Tanker (MT) VINNALARIS 1 LAGOS in the early hours of Thursday 7 December 2023 at about 3.00am.

 

A Statement by the Nigerian Navy spokeperson Commodore Ayo Vaughn said the vessel had 17 crew members onboard at the time of arrest and was caught engaging in illegal siphoning of crude oil from one of the well heads at EBESAN oil field about 7 nautical miles off the coast of Awoye riverine community in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State.

 

He said the apprehension of the vessel was based on credible intelligence received by the Base on the illegal activities of crude oil thieves at the location which informed the swift deployment of FOB IGBOKODA personnel to enforce the arrest of the vessel and her crew.

 

The vessel, MT VINNALARIS 1 LAGOS, has a storage capacity of about 15,000 metric tonnes and as at the time of arrest had loaded about 500 Metric tonnes of crude oil.

 

The statement further added, “it is believed that Tantita Security Service TSS is involved in the illegalities because Awoye riverine area which is close to the place of arrest is covered by TSS.” Vaughan noted that it was upon the arrest of the vessel by the Nigerian Navy that TSS began to raise false alarm, which the Navy described as totally unfounded and mischievous.

Continue Reading

News

NJC RECOMENDS ELEVEN SUPREME COURT JUSTICES, ONE COURT OF APPEAL JUSTICE, HEADS OF COURT 

Published

on

The National Judicial Commision has recommended the appointment of 11 Supreme Court Justices, one Justice of Court of Appeal, 6 Heads of Courts and 26 other Judicial Officers.

 

This was the consencus at the Councils 104 Meeting after considering the list of candidates presented by its Interview Committee

 

 

According to a statement signed by the Director Of Information, Soji Oye, the council after much deliberations, recommended Justice Hannatu Sankey, Justice Chidiebere Uwa, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme, Justice Haruna Tsammani and

Justice Aseimo Adumein as Supreme court Justices.

 

Others are Justice Obande Ogbuinya, Justice Stephen Adah, Justice Habeeb Abiru, Justice Jamilu Tukur, Justice Abubakar Umar, and Justice Mohammed Idris.

 

The NJC also recommended Justice Mohammed Ramat as a Justice of the Court of Appeal.

 

Some heads of court nominated are Justice Joel Agya, as the Chief Judge Taraba State,

Justice Umar Abubakar, Chief Judge of Taraba State amongst others.

 

The Council has said that all recommended candidates to the Supreme Court Bench would be sworn-in after the approval of their recommendation by President Bola Tinubu and the subsequent confirmation of their appointment by the Senate.

 

NJC has also noted that the various Heads of Court recommended would also be sworn-in upon the approval of their appointment by their various State Governors and subsequent confirmation of same by their respective State Houses of Assembly.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC denies comments on 70 percent Nigerian Youths involvement in internet fraud

Published

on

EFCC denies comments on 70 percent Nigerian Youths involvement in internet fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has denied comments by it’s Executive Chairman, Ola Olukoyede which labelled seventy percent of Nigerian Students as internet fraudsters.

 

 

 

While stating this in a Statement by the Head, Media and Publicity Dele Oyewale, the Commission says it is a misrepresentation of the concerns of the Chairman of the EFCC to the rising incidences of internet- related crimes involving Youths across the Country.

 

 

 

It explains that its Chairman had called for wider media enlightenment of youths as a counter- measure against the menace of internet fraud at a meeting with Representatives of the Civil Society Organizations, CSOs that paid him a visit in Abuja.

 

 

 

Olukoyede says that reports and intelligence available to him indicated that, unless the trajectory of youth involvement in internet fraud is addressed and reversed, the future of their leadership of Nigeria may be threatened and if it continues in the next ten years, seven out ten of the youths may be getting involved in cybercrimes.

 

 

The EFCC says that at no time did its Chairman mentioned that “seven out of ten” Nigerian students are criminals” as widely reported.

 

 

 

The Commission assures the public that its Chairman is doubly committed to the progress of Nigerian Youths and underscores his calls for collaborative interventions in offering them more productive and sustainable alternatives.

 

 

The Statement added that the concerns of the EFCC Chairman bothers on breaking the jinx of mass indulgence of youths in cybercrimes.

Continue Reading

Trending